Friday, February 4, 2011

Gel Image Transfer


I'm so excited right now I could pee my pants.  For the past few years, I've scoured the web for techniques on how to transfer images onto canvas.  Finally, after trying various methods with no success, I stumbled across this YouTube video explaing gel image transfers. 

I am hoping to use this technique to make a mixed media painting for above my daughter's crib.  If it looks anything like the painting above, I'd be in heaven (of course, my daughter doesn't have a cool 'fro...shame).  Keep your fingers crossed for me!

The Queen of Image Transfer is Michelle Caplan.  Michelle is a mixed media collage artist who layers images over vintage papers.  I'm not sure what her transfer method is, but I'm thinking it includes some crazy art magic.  Here is one of my favorite images from her Etsy store:



I've taped down my image and covered it in a layer of soft gel.  It'll take 2 to 3 days to dry.  In the meantime, I'm going to buckle down and work on some Valentine's Day decor.  Time to go roll some fabric flowers...

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog. I have struggled with figuring out the best way to transfer a photo image onto collaged elements. How did this turn out? I'll finish crusining through your blog, since this is a year old.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Your messages make my day!