Thursday, July 21, 2011

Blue + Green = Color Scheme Dream

I love me some color.  I love how color can convey emotion and set the tone for a room.  It can make me feel passionate or peaceful.  I love the nature of contrasting colors.  I love how one color with a certain undertone can make a room feel completely warn while the same color with a different undertone can make the room feel the complete opposite.  

I love color.

So, here's how color is working in my homestead.  Though one of my favorite colors is red, I couldn't seem to pull that off in my last house without it feeling too country or traditional.  In our current home, which we bought when we realized we were having twins, I decided to change it up.  Now more than ever, with 3 kids under the age of 5, I need a peaceful home.  That's the main reason I chose blue and green for our main colors in our home.  

The other reason is that blue and green ROCK.  

OK, let's start in the living room.  Colors: slate blue and medium olive green.

Here's the current work-in-progress state of affairs.  I know.  It's looking pretty scarce without the rug and curtains.  We're working on that.  Each time we've sat down to buy those, my transmission goes out or a kid has to go to the hospital and rack up a huge bill.  I think its God's way of telling me NOT to put my hope in home decor, but in the Lord.  :)


Here's a close up of the chairs we recently bought.  I love the modern wingback/armless style chairs out these days.


Soon, we'll put these bad boys up...


And, this rug from Serena and Lily.  In the meantime, I might just paint a canvas rug this style as seen here.

Here are a few pics of my all time favorite DREAM living room:


Love.


Love.  Love.  

Love me some Nate Berkus living room as well.


Here's a pic of our kitchen.  I fell in love with this kitchen two years ago when we were looking for homes.  I loved the backsplash.   I wanted to get my stylist to come in and help arrange the kitchen for this photo (you know, but out some fresh flowers, have some food out like we're in the middle of a nice meal) but since it was such a last minute photo shoot AND since I don't even have a stylist, that didn't work out.  


As for the guest bedroom...it has been poorly neglected. Actually, it has been misused, even, as I change the twins' diapers and do laundry in there daily.  One day, however, I hope it will look something like this:


I love those turquoise walls with the bold red curtains.

Though, I would totally "settle" for this as well:


Gorgeous!!!

Now, for the master bedroom.  We have not done too much to the master since moving in.  There is so much to do in this house!  However, if I could snap my fingers and just wish myself into my dream bedroom, it might look something like....  



this gorgeous room:


I am crazy for ikat.  However, not at the $400 a yard pricetag.  Boo.  
(The original source of this pic has somehow been lost.)

As for my craft room, I couldn't possibly post a picture of that right now.  It is a wreck!  However, below is a somewhat recent pic to give you an idea of the color of the walls/furniture.  Blogged here.  Since we bought a new spec home, the entire home was already painted this lovely tan color.  It's a nice enough color, but I SO wish we had the time/money/energy to paint some of the walls.  Thankfully, my hubby allowed me this one concession in allowing me to paint my craft room walls grey.  


This was one of my many inspiration photos.  There is something about those dark grey walls that make the color just pop.  I painted one of the walls in my craft room a similar color.  I'll blog about one day...when it's all finished.  


(Unsure of the original source.  Shoot me an email if you know!)

Now, on to the kiddo rooms!

For the twins' room, I decided to go with a blue/green and pink/green color scheme.  

 Here's Scout's side of the room:


And Sawyer's side of the room:  
(For those detailed mamas amongst us, I no longer use the bumpers.  I just put them on there to give you an idea of the colors...)


Here's the space in between their cribs.  The curtain is Amy Butler fabric, but I'm so ready for something new.  The silhouettes were blogged here.  


For Merrick's room, I found inspiration for the navy/grass room (with small splashes of red) from Serena and Lily.  The pictures above his bed are photographs I took of letters around Austin, TX to spell out his name.  I made the curtains to match (sort of) his bedspread.


This is across from his bed.  Merrick and I made the painting together when he was four.  That's his handprint signature at the bottom right corner.  More on that later.  


Here is my current project: the homeschool room/playroom!  Everything in this pic (with the exception of the Serena and Lily stool) we've built in the past several weeks with plans from Ana White (looooove her!).  I'm about half way done with this room and hope to be finished by September.  


This was the inspiration (mostly) for the playroom/ homeschool room.  I'm hoping to make one of those adorable fushia/turquoise seats.  Unfortunately, I won't be painting the walls blue, but I'm working on a little wall art that will hopefully bring more color to the room.


And, speaking of color, I can't end this post without sharing one of my favorite inspiration photos.  In the future, when I (with a heavy heart) will have to split up the twins and give them each their own room (or have the boys share), I hope to give Scout a room similar to this one:


And that's the home I'm making!  It's a work in progress.  A very, very long work in progress.  But, I soooo enjoy the process.  :)

By the way, this post idea originated from Ashley at the Handmade Home.  I'm linking to her True Colors Par-tay:

4 comments:

  1. Blue and green DO rock! My house colors of choice as well. Although at my new place, I have less blue this time. More greens of different shades. So cooling and calm :) Good work or your rooms! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, love this post..just did blue/green post a week ago..love the pics you have picked..the kid's space, canopied bed, grey walled room..Visiting via the linky party at the handmade home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness! LOVING your ideas. awesome! I plan on putting a fish on the wall, very soon, so I'm drooling...and your blue dresser = fantabulous!

    -ashley @ the handmade home

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you get around to making one of those delightful fushia/turquoise seats, please share! I'd love to find a tutorial that's worth while. They're too cute. Beautiful colors and a great sense of style.

    - Madison @ www.thishappyhut.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Your messages make my day!